Technical Support Specialist – Ottawa, Canada
Origin House is seeking an experience Desktop Support Specialist who can provide design, installation, maintenance and support service for our internal customers’ devices and networks. The successful candidate will work with our IT team to discuss the need for network changes and the feasibility of projects recommended by network users. The Desktop Support Specialist will also be required to monitor technology trends and makes recommendations on incorporating new technology into the company’s existing platforms. If you have previous experience in an IT position, please apply today.
Under the supervision of the Corporate Services Manager, the Technical Support Specialist supports day-to-day IT business needs such as troubleshooting laptops, printers, tablets, VOIP phones, Microsoft Office 365 or email issues. Help Desk first point of contact for employees in the building. Prioritize, up level and address systemic issues proactively. Conduct trainings, write documentation, and send out IT-related communications to the staff. Works closely with Managed Service Providers and refers issues as appropriate. May be asked to travel to Torontoto help with IT projects.
Your Duties Include
- Ongoing maintenance and future planning needs of the company’s desktop environment
- Collaborate with existing vendors to evaluate the new technology that is available and make recommendations to the team on using that technology or additional services needed to support our internal customers
- Consult with IT team to make sure that additional devices, facilities, network expansion projects are in line with the company’s plans
- Monitor the performance of the company’s desktop infrastructure and make suggestions for improving efficiency
- Work with our Managed Service Provider (MSP) and internal IT team to provide IT metrics to our internal customers
- Help the IT team resolve company-wide configuration management, anti-virus, security, updates, SSO across all devices
- Evaluate applications and software patches for desktop applications to see if they will solve desktop issues
- Gather requirements from users to assist in forming recommendations for new or replacement devices
- Help work with our finance and IT teams to discuss lifecycle management, asset management
- Work with our internal customers on systems that are specific to our industry such as cultivation, manufacturing and distribution systems
- Help document IT processes, training
- Provide rapid, courteous response to our internal customers for IT issues
- Be ready to help your IT team mates in other regional teams (Norcal, Socal, Ottawa/Toronto are our current geographies) which could necessitate travel or just remote tech support
- Must be willing to work in the cannabis industry
- Customer service focus,patient and friendly manner with users at all skill levels.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technical troubleshooting skills with an attention to detailand follow-through.
- Able to perform well in the startup environment, with multiple tasks and projects underway each day, working with frequent interruptions, while moving projects forward
- Experience with Microsoft operating systems(Windows 10, Windows Server 2016),including installation and configuration.Managing domain membership, wireless networking, antimalware suites, patch and driver management, printing.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office 365 administration (user adds/moves/changes, group membership, assigning licenses), MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams — both online and locally installed Windows/Mac versions) and Office 365 admin consoles.
- Intimate familiarity with Microsoft Outlook running on Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, including calendar and inbox rights management.
- Experience with networked device troubleshooting (printers, scanners, tablets etc).
- Basic printer/MFP troubleshooting (toner, paper jams, referral of repairs to vendors).
- Basic networking skills (basic troubleshooting, monitoring and light administration of 802.11ac and Ethernet LANs)
- Basic knowledge of cybersecurity (multi-factor authentication, good password practices, network account management, recognizing scams and phishing). Able to explain security concepts to users and assist them with securing their accounts.
- Experience setting up computer workstations with multiple external monitors, docking stations, input devices, headsets.
- Experience assisting users with BYOD iPhone and Android devices (phones and tablets)
- Familiar with SharePoint (able to assist users with creating, editing, and managing SharePoint sites)
- Familiar with videoconferencing (Skype for Business, MS Teams) and conference room systems (projection, large screen TVs, speakerphones)
Nice to Have
- Mac desktop/laptop support (imaging, binding to AD, user account management, wireless networking, directory services, antimalware suites, patch management).
- Ability to create and understand network diagrams
- Project management
- Database management
- Understand of corporate wide mobile device management, configuration, and security policies
- Able to work occasional overtime in response to urgent needs
- Experience developing short, easy-to-understand training presentations on security policies and software use.
- Able to life and carry equipment up to 10 kg
- Basic knowledge of hand tools used in IT field.